NHERI exists to do the following things:
- To research those who teach their children at home;
- To publish the research journal called the Home School Researcher, which chronicles the current research being done about home schooling;
- To speak to the media, legislators, and national organizations about the home schooling movement, showing factual research about those who teach their children at home;
- To serve as conference speakers and teachers for groups interested in home schooling; and
- To work with legislators on Capitol Hill, and with state/local legislators, on issues related to parental rights, the freedom we have to teach our children at home, and home schoolers coordinating with local school officials.
Services that NHERI provides on a regular basis include:
- Speaking to home schooling and other types of conferences about home schooling research;
- Giving seminars and lectures on how to teach your children at home;
- Doing state- and national-level research about the home schooling community; and
- Speaking to the media (television, radio, newspaper, etc.) about home schooling issues.
Brian D. Ray, Ph.D. founded the institute in 1990 as a 501(c)3 non-profit research organization, and is the president of the institute. He holds his Ph.D. in science education from Oregon State University, his M.S. in zoology from Ohio University, and his B.S. in biology from the University of Puget Sound. Dr. Ray has been a middle school and high school classroom teacher in both public and private schools, an undergraduate college professor, and a university professor at the graduate level. He is a leading international expert with regard to homeschool (home school, home education) research. Dr. Ray executes and publishes research, speaks to the public, testifies before legislators, and serves as an expert witness in courts.
For more information about NHERI's services, to subscribe to the Home School Researcher, to get started in your own home schooling, or if you would like to obtain information about home schooling research, you can contact the institute:
National Home Education Research Institute
PO Box 13939
Salem, OR 97309
phone (503) 364-1490
fax (503) 364-2827
Brian D. Ray, Ph.D., President